|What is Stretching?|
|Chandrakant Dubey, Fitness trainer,GGU certified and pursuing ACSM|
|What is Stretching? |
- Stretching in terms means flexibility .It is defined as the range of motion at a particular joint or a series of joints.
- Stretching may vary from one joint to another in simple words one joint may be quite flexible whereas other may not.
- It means joint’s ability to move through full range of motion thereby helping muscle to balance them after a strenuous physical activity.
- Thus stretching plays an important role to achieve good benefits from any training program.
Stretching improves flexibility. They are either dynamic or static in nature. There are different types of stretching:-
It involves stretching of a muscle or a group of muscles to its maximum capacity thereby holding it at the same position. Static stretch consists of active & passive stretches.
I. Active Stretch An active stretch is a position hold without any aid or support. This is performed with the strength of your leading muscle. For e.g.; while stretching your hamstrings strength of quadriceps (leading) is utilized.
II. Passive Stretch A passive stretch is a position hold with the help of some other part of one’s body or help of a partner or some other equipment.
The word dynamic means movement. This stretch is performed with some kind of movement in one’s body parts.
It involves the force of a moving body to stretch beyond its normal range of motion.
It means “proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation”. It involves help of a partner to oppose against the position and further to stretchpassively through increased range of motion.
Advantages of Stretching
At the end stretching is most important in order to achieve fitness goals along with the training programs.
- Improves flexibility at the joints.
- Enhances physical performance
- Reduces risk of injuries during intensive workouts
- Improves recovery from muscle soreness
- Corrects posture and improves stability
- Enhances Neuromuscular coordination
- Builds up enthusiasm while doing workouts